Do you have a 2017 Lexus RX and want to show off the smart new feature that is currently exclusive to your Lexus year and model? If you’re one of the lucky Lexus drivers of a 2017 Lexus RX you have a feature not found on any other Lexus model – as of right now, at least – called Intelligent Parking Assist with Auto Braking. Pretty much every 2017 RX will have this smart safety feature if you have at least the Premium Package or specifically Blind Spot Monitor with Rear Cross Traffic Alert. How do you know if you have any of these features? If your 2017 RX has a wood grain steering wheel, navigation or if you see a green “BSM” light on your dash then you can rest assured that you have this feature.
How to Perform a SMART Demonstration:
- Check that “ICS” is turned on in the multi-information display. Use the steering wheel controls to select the “gear” icon, then scroll down to highlight “ICS” and confirm that “ICS” is “ON.”
- Arrange solid barriers 6-13 feet in front of and behind the RX (you can use Styrofoam, cardboard, etc. for demonstration or actual barriers if you’re brave enough).
- Drive forward toward the barrier at 2-3 miles per hour (the ICS system is active at speeds less than 10 mph).
- Once the vehicle stops, you can take a breath and relax… or explain to your passengers that this smart system will hold the brakes for about 2 seconds. You (the driver) must be ready to take over after this.
- Point out that ICS is now “OFF” in the multi-information display and an orange icon is displayed in the instrument cluster.
- Shift to Reverse and note that ICS turns “ON” in the multi-information display.
- Reverse toward the barrier behind the vehicle at 2-3 miles per hour.
- Once the vehicle stops, you can now be certain that your RX is the smartest car on the block.
For a personal demonstration, stop by North Park Lexus at Dominion.