We recently learned that key changes and updates are coming to the Scout GPS Link App and has already launched on the 2018 NX that is now in-stock and available at North Park Lexus Dominion. The 2018 RC will also feature these enhancements and we hope to see the rest of the models adopt the updates as they are updated with the latest multimedia system from Lexus.
Scout GPS Link first became available on 2017 NX, RX, RC, ES and IS models and features TurnStream (turn by turn directions) through the Lexus Display Audio System (models without factory navigation). This same, original Scout GPS Link system will carry-over for 2018 ES, IS and RX models since they will not yet feature the newest multimedia system, however, the updated 2018 NX and RC models will both support the new MapStream (moving maps) and current TurnStream (turn-by-turn directions) feature.
It is important to note, that although Scout GPS Link is supported by the Lexus Display Audio system and will appear on the multimedia display while in use, the information and navigation displayed by the app are received from the user’s smartphone data services and the minimum mobile data connection should be 3G or greater for optimal use. You also need a newer operating system on your smartphone. Scout GPS Link requires either Android 4.4 or later or iOS 8.0 or later.
The updated Scout GPS Link system (again, only available on 2018 NX and 2018 RC at this time) is now incorporated as a part of the Lexus Enform App Suite 2.0 that comes on the basic/starting packages or those with Lexus Display Audio. The new system is available with a 3-year trial for all 2018 NX and RC models, and will be subscription-free through 2023 for the 2017 NX, RX, RC, ES and IS models. The new system offers the same first-rate alternative to factory navigation and will feature new routing features with either turn-by-turn directions (TurnStream) or an interactive moving 3D map (MapStream) via the multimedia display. Additional route updates, including traffic and ETA-based commute information plus YELP app integration, are also available through the updated Scout GPS Link app.
- Destination “Likes” are now called “Favorites”
- Now offers 12 POI categories including:
- Gas, Coffee, Restaurant, Parking, ATM, Fast Food, Lodging, Airport, Grocery, Shopping, Movies, and Bars
New Feature: MapStream (Moving Maps)
The new feature, MapStream, provides full moving maps on the multimedia display and aims to provide a better user experience when using the system to navigate to a destination. MapStream also promises to provide drivers a view of their current location at any given time via voice command and turn-by-turn voice guidance.
IMPORTANT: Since Scout GPS Link uses cell phone data, the user’s phone must have a strong cell connection in order for MapStream to work correctly.
To utilize MapStream on a 2018 NX or RC model, you must first connect your device via both USB and Bluetooth. You also need to do the following:
- Have Lexus Enform App Suite 2.0 downloaded
- Make sure the navigation screen is displayed in half- or full-screen mode.
- Keep the app open in the foreground (iOS users) or keep the device from entering sleep mode (Android users with OS 4.4 or later).
IF any of these requirements for MapStream or not met, Scout GPS Link will shift back to TurnStream as long as the device is still connected to Bluetooth.
Key MapStream Features:
- Save time using One Box Search with auto predictions:
- Users can search for a destination by address, city, phone contacts, and POI name and categories, using conversational search terms.
- Search nearby businesses:
- Search nearby POIs using the 12 available POI categories
- Add certain destinations or addresses to the favorites list for easy access to those addresses in the future.
- Choose the best-personalized route using Trip Options and Settings:
- Access helpful navigation settings and customize a navigation session to your preference.
- Vehicle’s current location and street name (sounds like the best feature)
- When in motion, an icon moves along the map to indicate driving progress and includes the current location and street name.
- Set up home and work addresses:
- Add your home and work addresses for quick routing back home or to the office.
- Zoom in/out:
- Pan, or zoom in and out on the map to better understand their route options
- When en route to a destination you can still view:
- Turn Lists: a list of remaining turns left in route
- Route Overview – bird’s eye view of the map with the chosen route highlighted and other route options available, next-turn info, an option to end the navigation and more.
- Destination details – including destination name, address, current ETA and straight-line distance from current location.
To learn more, stop by North Park Lexus at Dominion and visit with our Vehicle Technology Specialist.