Check out a few tips on how to enhance fuel efficiency the next time you’re on the road…
- Avoid heavy braking and quick acceleration. Monitor traffic to minimize braking and coast whenever possible. Quick acceleration and heavy braking may reduce mileage by as much as 33% in highway driving and as much as 5% in city driving.
- Check your tire pressure or just check out built-in tire pressure monitor if you have a newer Lexus model- so you can maintain the proper pressure.
- Observe the speed limit; fuel economy usually decreases at speeds over 50 mph.
- Select ECO driving mode. Limit your driving in SPORT or EV mode (if in a hybrid).
- Drive in the “D” transmission position for best fuel economy. Only use the “S” transmission ranges if needed to help maintain vehicle speed when going down steep grades. In “S” mode, the lower the range, the greater the engine braking force.
- Avoid carrying unnecessary loads; extra weight reduces fuel economy and EPA tests do not account for any type of cargo on top of your vehicle.
- Plan ahead to combine short trips in order to minimize cold starts.
- Try to drive so that the ECO indicator light displays on your MID. The green ECO light is giving you a big thumbs up to your driving and tells you when you are driving efficiently.
- Choose wisely. Monitor or limit the use of accessories such as heated and ventilated seats, defrosters and the AC/Heat as this can decrease fuel economy.
- When driving on the highway, try to follow in a lane behind a large truck so to block the wind. Wind resistance reduces fuel economy.
For more information on ways to improve your fuel economy or to check out other EPA mileage data, go to www.fueleconomy.gov.